One of the biggest shifts I've made over the last few years is becoming
much more proactive with my health instead of reactive. I don't want to wait
until something feels wrong before I start asking questions. I want to
understand what's happening inside my body while I still feel healthy so I can
make small adjustments today that benefit me years from now.
That's why I started using Function Health in 2023.
More Than Just a Routine Physical
When most of us go to our annual physical, our primary care provider
orders a standard set of labs. Those tests are important, but they're designed
to look for obvious problems.
I wanted a much more complete picture.
Function Health tests more than 130 biomarkers, giving me insights
into everything from cholesterol and cardiovascular health to inflammation,
hormones, thyroid function, vitamins, minerals, metabolic health, liver
function, kidney function, and much more.
This isn't about finding something wrong.
It's about understanding how your body is functioning before problems
develop.
The Process Is Surprisingly Easy
People often ask me if it's complicated.
Not at all.
Everything is done through the Function Health app. You simply schedule
an appointment at a Quest Diagnostics lab, show up for your appointment, and
have your blood drawn. That's it.
This last time, the woman drawing my blood told me she had seen more
than 600 Function Health patients in the previous month alone.
That honestly surprised me.
We both agreed that more and more people are taking ownership of their
health instead of relying solely on what insurance decides should or shouldn't
be tested.
Personally, I think that's a very positive shift.
Results Come Quickly
One thing I love is how quickly the results start coming in.
I received nearly 70 of my lab results within 24 hours, and all of
my results were available within about ten days.
The app organizes everything in an easy-to-understand format, highlights
areas that deserve attention, and provides explanations for each biomarker so
you're not left wondering what all the numbers mean.
Once I had my results, I sent them to my hormone specialist so we could
review my hormone levels together. In the past, I've also shared them with my
primary care physician so they become part of my medical record.
I still remember the first time I brought my Function Health results to
her. She was genuinely surprised by how comprehensive the testing was.
Is It Worth the Cost?
The annual membership is $365.
At first glance, that might sound expensive. But when you look at
everything that's included, I think it's one of the best investments I've made
in my health.
Each year, Function Health includes one comprehensive annual blood
panel with more than 130 biomarkers, followed by a six-month follow-up
panel that measures approximately 75 key biomarkers. This allows you to not
only establish a baseline but also monitor how your health is changing
throughout the year.
If you walked into your doctor's office and requested all of these tests
individually, you'd likely spend well over $1,000 in laboratory costs,
and many of the tests may not even be ordered unless there's already a
suspected problem.
For me, the value isn't simply the number of tests.
It's the information.
It's understanding my body before something goes wrong.
It's identifying trends over time instead of relying on a single
snapshot.
It's having meaningful conversations with my healthcare providers based
on comprehensive data.
It's making lifestyle changes before small issues become bigger ones.
To me, that's an investment—not an expense.
When I first joined Function Health in 2023, membership cost $500 per
year, so believe it or not, it's actually become less expensive.
Honestly, I can't think of many things these days that have gone down in price!
You can use your Health Savings Account. Here is a link to save $25 https://my.functionhealth.com/signup?code=AWILLIAMS13&_saasquatch=AWILLIAMS13&d=FHREF25
Knowledge Is Power
One of my favorite things about Function Health is that I'm building a
health history. Every six months, I add another data point. Over the years,
those snapshots become a story. Instead of asking, "What does my health
look like today?" I can ask, "How is my health changing over
time?" That perspective is incredibly valuable.
This Isn't About Perfection
I want to be clear about something. I'm not sharing this because I think
everyone needs to use Function Health. I'm sharing it because I believe
everyone deserves to understand their own body. Whether that's through your
primary care provider, another comprehensive lab program, or another avenue
entirely, my hope is simply that you'll become curious.
Ask questions. Learn your numbers. Keep copies of your lab work. Track
your health over time. Advocate for yourself. Because no one will ever be more
invested in your health than you are.
Comments
Post a Comment