What Thirty-Nine Years Taught Me About Friendship

 

The picture on the left is from 1987 in kindergarten, the top right is 2000 our senior year of high school, and the bottom left is last weekend 2026

If you've followed me for a while, you probably know I'm an introvert. Add being a Capricorn to the mix, and my friendship circle is intentionally small.

I know this might sound a little harsh, but I'm not someone who is always looking to make new friends. I've also realized that "friend groups" just aren't for me. Even in our 40s, there can still be drama, and I've reached a place in life where I simply don't have room for it.

Instead, the friendships that fill my heart are the quiet ones. The one-on-one conversations over coffee. Long walks. Lunches that somehow last for hours. Phone calls that start with, "Do you have a minute?" and end an hour later.

I grew up in Massachusetts but went to college in Kentucky so I have lived in Kentucky/Indiana for the past 26 years. Most of my closest friends don't live nearby anymore, so our time together isn't frequent. That makes every conversation and every visit even more meaningful.

For years, I thought I should enjoy the big gatherings and endless small talk because that's what everyone else seemed to love. It wasn't until I turned 40 that I finally admitted to myself that I didn't. And honestly? That realization felt incredibly freeing.

This past weekend, I took the boys to Boston, where my FF "First Friend" picked us up at the airport. We spent the day together, before heading to a Red Sox game with her family, and it was one of those days I'll treasure for a long time.

We had lunch, caught up on life, laughed about parenting, and tried our best to embarrass our kids. She has two daughters, ages 12 and 14, and my boys are 14 and 15. Naturally, we made things just awkward enough for them to roll their eyes. That's one of the perks of being parents.

We call each other FF because we met in kindergarten back in 1987. Which means next year marks 40 years of friendship.

Forty years.

When our kids were little, there were seasons when months or even years would pass without us talking much. Life was busy. Careers, babies, school events, family responsibilities... we were simply living life. But every time we reconnected, it felt like no time had passed at all.

For the last several years, we've been much better about catching up every week or two. Those 30- to 60-minute phone calls have become one of my favorite parts of my week.

Our friendship isn't built on talking every day. It's built on trust. We don't agree on everything. In fact, we have very different views on a lot of topics. But we don't judge each other. We give each other space to be exactly who we are.

She's one of the few people who can tell me, "I don't think you're looking at this the right way," and I never feel defensive. I know she's speaking from love and wants what's best for me. She knows I would do the same for her.

That's what real friendship looks like.

It's not about agreeing on everything.
It's not about seeing each other every weekend.
It's not about posting pictures together on social media.

It's about knowing someone will answer the phone when life falls apart.
It's about celebrating each other's wins without comparison.
It's about telling the truth with kindness.
It's about picking up right where you left off, even after time and distance have done their best to get in the way.

As I've gotten older, I've realized I don't need a large circle.

I just need a few people who know the real me.

The people who have seen every version of me over the years.
The people who remind me who I am when I forget.
The people who make me feel like I can exhale.

If you're lucky enough to have even one friendship like that, hold onto it.

Because friendships like these don't happen by accident.

They are built over decades, strengthened through life's highs and lows, and become one of the greatest gifts we receive.

So today, maybe send that text. Make that phone call. Schedule the coffee date. Or simply tell your "FF" how grateful you are for them.

Forty years later, I know I certainly am.

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Power of One Word: Your Guide to Choosing a Word of the Year for 2026

My Favorite Things 2025

Encouragement Over Criticism: What Our Kids Really Need