Recovery Is Part of the Work
Over the last few weeks, we've talked a lot about strength training,
nutrition, protein and building a stronger body in midlife. But there's another
piece of the equation that deserves just as much attention: recovery.
I'll be the first to admit, this one is hard for me. I'm a former athlete
and a self-diagnosed ADHD person (lol), sitting still has never exactly been my
specialty. I've spent most of my life believing that if you want better
results, you work harder. If you're tired, you push through. If you're not
seeing progress, you add more. More workouts, more steps, more effort. Rest was
something you did when everything else was finished and we all know everything
is never finished.
But especially after 40, I'm realizing how far that is from the truth.
Our bodies don't actually get stronger during a workout. The workout creates
the challenge, but recovery is when our bodies repair, adapt and get stronger.
We can have the perfect strength-training program and eat all the protein, but
if we're constantly exhausted and stressed, we're leaving out a huge part of
the equation.
Sleep Is Part of Your Fitness Routine
Sleep is probably one of the most underrated parts of fitness, yet it's
often the first thing we sacrifice. We stay up later to get things done or wake
up earlier to squeeze more into the day. I've definitely been guilty of
thinking, I'll just get up earlier.
But when I'm strength training, walking thousands of steps, working all
day and managing everything else life throws at me, my body and my brain need
that recovery. I'm trying to stop thinking about sleep as hours when I'm
accomplishing nothing. Sometimes the most productive thing you can do for
tomorrow is simply go to bed.
Recovery Doesn't Have to Mean Doing
Nothing
Walking is a huge part of my routine, and I'm learning that every walk
doesn't have to be about burning calories or hitting a step goal. Sometimes an
easy walk outside is simply recovery. It gets my body moving while also giving
my mind a chance to decompress. For someone like me who struggles with doing
absolutely nothing, active recovery is probably my sweet spot.
Sauna has become another part of my recovery routine. Yes, there are
potential health benefits, but honestly, one of the biggest benefits for me is
that it forces me to stop. I can't fold laundry, clean the kitchen or squeeze
in another workout. I just sit, breathe and give myself permission to slow down
for a little while.
And then there's actual downtime, which might be the hardest one of all.
Watching a show, reading a book, sitting outside, having coffee or spending
time with people you love without feeling like you should simultaneously be
accomplishing something. Our bodies need recovery, but our brains do too.
You Don't Have to Earn Rest
This may be the biggest mindset shift for me: you don't have to
completely exhaust yourself before you're allowed to recover. Taking a recovery
day doesn't erase the work you've already done, and more isn't automatically
better.
I'm definitely still learning this one. My natural instinct is always
going to be to push harder and do more. But my goal isn't to see how much
punishment my body can tolerate. My goal is to build a strong, healthy body
that carries me through the next several decades of my life.
So I'm prioritizing sleep. I'm walking. I'm sitting in the sauna. I'm
allowing myself some downtime. And I'm trying to listen when my body tells me
it needs a little less instead of automatically responding by giving it more.
Because after 40, I've finally realized something I wish my younger
athlete self understood:
Rest isn't the opposite of progress. Recovery is part of the work.

Comments
Post a Comment