The Fall Equinox: A Time to Rebalance, Release & Reset
There is something about the beginning of fall that naturally feels like a reset. The mornings become cooler, the days get a little shorter, routines settle back in after summer, and there is a noticeable shift in the energy around us. While January gets most of the attention when it comes to fresh starts, I have always thought fall offers its own opportunity to pause, reflect and decide how we want to move through the remainder of the year.
The Fall Equinox marks the astronomical beginning of fall in the Northern Hemisphere and occurs when the sun crosses the celestial equator. Around the equinox, daylight and nighttime are nearly equal before we begin moving toward shorter days and longer nights. Because of this near equality between light and darkness, the equinox has long been associated with balance, transition, gratitude and letting go.
I love the symbolism behind it because balance doesn't necessarily mean giving equal amounts of ourselves to every area of our lives. There are seasons when our careers require more from us, seasons when our families need more attention and seasons when our own health or personal growth needs to become the priority. Balance is less about making everything equal and more about recognizing when something has become so out of alignment that it needs our attention.
The equinox can be a good opportunity to look honestly at where your energy has been going lately. Maybe you've been giving too much of yourself to work. Maybe you've been taking care of everyone around you while consistently putting yourself last. Maybe you're pushing yourself physically but aren't allowing enough recovery. Or maybe you've become so comfortable in a routine that you know you're ready to challenge yourself again. Sometimes we don't realize how out of balance something has become until we intentionally stop long enough to look at it.
Fall Is Also a Season of Letting Go
Perhaps the most obvious symbolism of fall is happening right outside our windows. Trees begin dropping their leaves and preparing for a completely different season. Nature doesn't treat letting go as failure; it's simply part of the cycle.
As humans, we aren't always quite as good at that part.
We tend to hold onto things because they're familiar, even after they stop being good for us. We hold onto old expectations, relationships, habits, careers, identities and even goals simply because we've invested so much time in them. Sometimes we continue trying to become a version of ourselves that we decided we should be years ago without ever stopping to ask whether that person is still who we want to become.
There is an important difference between quitting something because it is difficult and releasing something because it no longer belongs in your life. Part of growing is learning to recognize that difference. Changing your mind doesn't automatically mean you failed. Outgrowing something doesn't erase the value it once had. And choosing a different direction doesn't mean the original direction was a mistake.
The question I have been thinking about as we enter this new season is simple: What am I carrying simply because I haven't given myself permission to put it down?
Maybe there is something you've been carrying too.
The Final Season of the Year
The timing of the Fall Equinox is also interesting because we're entering the final few months of the year. This is often the point when people start thinking about everything they said they were going to accomplish in January and haven't done yet.
It's easy to look at that list and feel behind. It's also easy to decide the year is basically over and tell ourselves we'll start fresh in January. But three months is actually a significant amount of time. You don't need to accomplish everything you imagined for yourself this year, but there is plenty of time to make meaningful progress toward something that matters to you.
Instead of asking, "What haven't I accomplished yet?" try asking, "What would make me proud of how I used the rest of this year?"
Maybe it's finally prioritizing your health. Maybe it's becoming stronger. Maybe it's applying for a different job, starting something you've been afraid to start, repairing a relationship, creating a boundary, saving money, taking a trip, developing a new habit or simply becoming more intentional about how you're spending your days.
You don't have to reinvent your entire life between now and December 31. Choose one or two things that genuinely matter and give them your attention. Small decisions made consistently over the next several months can put you in a very different place when the new year arrives.
A Few Questions for Your Journal
If you want to use the Fall Equinox as your own personal reset, spend some quiet time thinking about these questions. Don't rush through them. Sometimes the first answer is the obvious answer, while the more meaningful one comes after you've sat with the question for a little while.
What am I ready to release from this past season?
Where does my life currently feel out of balance?
What has been taking more energy from me than it deserves?
What do I want more of during this next season? What do I want less of?
Is there something I'm holding onto simply because it's familiar?
What am I most proud of from the year so far?
What have I been saying I want to do but haven't taken action on yet?
If December 31 arrived and I could say, "I'm so glad I did that," what would I want "that" to be?
Who do I want to be when I enter 2027, and what would that
version of me start doing now?
Create Your Own Fall Equinox Ritual
A ritual doesn't have to be complicated or overly spiritual. At its core, a ritual is simply creating an intentional moment to acknowledge a transition. Give yourself 20 or 30 minutes sometime this week without your phone or other distractions. Light a candle, make a cup of tea, sit outside if the weather is nice, or simply find somewhere quiet.
Take a piece of paper and create two columns. At the top of the first write "I Am Releasing." Write down anything you don't want to continue carrying into this next season. It could be a habit, expectation, fear, resentment, relationship dynamic, negative belief about yourself or pressure you've been putting on yourself.
At the top of the second column write "I Am Choosing." Think about what you want to create space for instead. Maybe you're choosing strength, peace, confidence, discipline, adventure, boundaries, rest, connection, focus or joy.
When you're finished, choose one action you can take within the next seven days that represents what you're choosing. If you're choosing health, schedule the workout. If you're choosing boundaries, have the conversation. If you're choosing adventure, book something. If you're choosing growth, submit the application. If you're choosing rest, actually put it on your calendar.
The reflection matters, but what we do afterward matters even more.
An Affirmation for the New Season
I release what no longer belongs in this season of my life. I give myself permission to change, grow and choose differently. I am creating greater balance by giving my time and energy to what truly matters. I am grateful for everything this year has taught me, and I trust myself to move into this next season with intention, courage and joy.
The Fall Equinox doesn't require us to become someone new. Maybe its reminder is actually much simpler than that. Seasons change, priorities change, circumstances change and we change with them. We can appreciate what a previous season gave us without needing to remain there.
As we move into fall, take a little time to decide what deserves to come with you and what you're finally ready to leave behind. There are still months left in this year and plenty of time to make them meaningful.
Here's to releasing what has run its course, making room for
what comes next and choose joy in every season.

Comments
Post a Comment